Overview of usual requirements for new ESOL teachers in the ACT & Overseas

Government school or IEC (Introductory English Centre)Bachelor’s degree in education with relevant major or Bachelor’s degree with relevant major plus a Diploma in Education. In addition to these qualifications, intending ESL teachers need a post-graduate TESOL certificate or diploma (if TESOL method was not part of the degree or Dip. Ed.)
Independent schoolsBachelor’s degree in education or a Bachelor’s degree with a relevant major eg English, plus a Certificate or Diploma in Education is usually required. Qualifications required vary according to school.
AMEP (Adult Migrant English Program) providersEITHER a recognised Bachelor Degree and a recognised postgraduate TESOL qualification which includes a practicum*
OR a Bachelor of Education with a TESOL major or equivalent which includes a practicum*
PLUS a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent
* See http://www.neas.org.au/teachers/amep.php for information about practicum requirements and full details of minimum requirements.
ELICOS (universities and private colleges teaching overseas students, primarily adults, and some secondary level students)Qualifications required vary according to college. Colleges which teach students on student visas are required to employ teachers who have an acceptable pre-service teaching qualification (including a 3 year degree) plus an appropriate TESOL qualification, or a recognised degree or diploma plus 800 hours classroom teaching experience plus a TESOL qualification. The Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults (CELTA) is required by some.
* See http://www.neas.org.au/teaching/teachers for information on Teaching in NEAS endorsed ELT Centres.
Community colleges, etcVarious other organisations run part-time ESL classes. Qualifications required vary according to college.

Qualifications required vary according to institution. A university degree is usually required. In many countries a degree plus a TESOL qualification such as the CELTA or other TESOL certificate opens up avenues of employment in private colleges. Requirements to gain employment in government schools and universities are becoming more stringent. In some countries, such institutions now require qualifications similar to those needed for ACT government schools. People who want to make a career in TESOL and aspire to senior, better paid roles such as Director of Studies may need to consider undertaking relevant masters’ qualifications such as an M. TESOL. Many countries will only provide a relevant work visa to applicants who have a university degree. Check international websites for ESL teachers  (eg. Dave’s ESL Café) to see what requirements apply in countries which interest you.