TESOL may be able to be studied as part of an undergraduate degree in education. Contact Education faculties at universities for more details.
The majority of enquirers to this site are graduates who are considering training in TESOL so this information is directed at them. Only one university in the ACT offers an on-campus postgraduate course in TESOL:
University of Canberra offers three professional TESOL courses, to be completed part time or full time:
- Graduate Certificate TESOL/FLT (4 subjects, one semester) – also available online
- Graduate Diploma TESOL/FLT (8 subjects, two semesters) – also available online
- MA TESOL/FLT (16 subjects, 2 years full time)
Several other universities offer postgraduate TESOL courses by distance study, including those listed below – type “TESOL” into the site’s search field to find relevant courses:
- Macquarie University – http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/
- University of New England – http://www.une.edu.au/
- University of Technology Sydney – http://www.uts.edu.au/
- University of Wollongong – http://www.uow.edu.au/
- Deakin University – http://www.deakin.edu.au/
Other TESOL training organisations
The Certificate IV in TESOL is also offered by some interstate TAFE colleges by distance education. Please ask providers of this course for further information. (Type “Certificate IV TESOL” into the search field in your search engine.)
Private organisations (and some universities) provide training in the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), but none are currently providing this course in the ACT. These organisations may be found on the CELTA website: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/celta/ or by typing “CELTA” into your search engine.
Also check the Careers Advice page on the NEAS website, which shows which courses qualify you for teaching in which sectors/programs: https://neas.org.au/resources/career-advice/